Applies to: PowerPoint for Office 365, PowerPoint for Office 365 for Mac, PowerPoint for the web, PowerPoint 2019, PowerPoint 2019 for Mac, PowerPoint 2016, PowerPoint 2013, PowerPoint 2010, PowerPoint 2007, PowerPoint 2016 for Mac, PowerPoint for Mac 2011.
You can apply audio, such as music, narration, or sound bites, to your PowerPoint presentation. To record and hear any audio, your computer must be linked to a sound card, microphone, and speakers.
Add audio from your PC
- Pick Insert > Audio.
- Choose Audio on My PC.
- In the Insert Audio dialogue box, click the audio file you want to add.
- Press Insert.
- Click Insert > Audio.
- Press Record Audio.
- State a name for your audio file, click Record, and then speak.
Note: Your device must have a microphone enabled in order to record audio.
- To review your recording, click Stop and then press Play.
- Pick Record to re-record your clip, or choose OK if you’re happy.
- To move your clip, click and drag the audio icon to where you want it on the slide. If you’re using numerous audio files per slide, we recommend putting the audio icon in the same spot on a slide to find it easily.
- Press Play.
Change playback options
Click the audio icon and then press the Audio Tools Playback tab. Then choose which options you’d like to use:
- To trim the audio, press Trim and then use the red and green sliders to trim the audio file suitably.
- To fade in or fade out audio, alter the number in the Fade Duration boxes.
- To modify volume, click Volume and pick the setting you prefer.
- To pick how the audio file starts, choose the drop-down arrow and select an option:
- In Click Sequence: Plays the audio file instantly with a click.
- Automatically: Plays automatically when you progress to the slide that the audio file is on.
- When Clicked On: Plays audio specifically when the icon is clicked on.
- To select how the audio plays in your presentation, choose an option:
- Play Across Slides: Plays one audio file throughout all slides.
- Loop until Stopped: Plays an audio file on loop until it’s directly stopped by pressing the Play/Pause button.
- To have the audio play non-stop throughout all slides in the background, pick Play in Background.
To delete an audio clip, click the audio icon on the slide and press Delete.