Applies to: SharePoint Online Office for business SharePoint Server 2019, SharePoint Online admin center SharePoint Online operated by 21Vianet.
Use the Text web part to create paragraphs to your page. Formatting options such as styles, bullets, indentations, highlighting, and links are available.
To use the Text web part:
- On your page, hover your mouse atop or under an existing web part and you’ll see a line with a circled +, like so:
- Pick + and then select Text from the list of web parts.
- Press inside the box and the formatting toolbar will display.
- State your text, and format it using the formatting toolbar. To access or close the Text and table formatting pane, select the ellipses (…) on the right side on the toolbar.
In the Text and table formatting pane, you can do everything you can do in the toolbar plus:
- Undo and redo changes
- Clear formatting from the selected text
- Choose from 10 available font sizes
- Change font colour using standard or theme colours (theme colours change to reflect the theme of the site)
- Add a highlight colour
- Use strikethrough
- Use subscript and superscript
- Indent text
- Insert a table and choose table styles and alignment
Insert a hyperlink
There are two approaches to insert a hyperlink. One way is using the Hyperlink command on the toolbar, and the alternate way is to enter straight in the web part.
Use the Hyperlink command
a. Press Hyperlink in the toolbar or in the Text and table formatting pane, or use CTRL+K. If you choose a word before clicking, that word is used as a keyword to search for pages.
b. In the Insert Link dialogue box, enter the address of the link in the Address box, and the text you want linked in the Text to display box.
Optionally, if you want to link to a page on the site, you can search for it using the Search box, and then click the page in the results list.
c. Once you’re done, select Save.
Hyperlinks and page anchors
Page anchors (also known as bookmarks) are automatically added to Heading 1 styles in Text web parts on your page. When a page is published, and you hover over a Heading 1 in a Text web part, you’ll see a link symbol indicating the page anchor.
You can right-click a page anchor and press “copy link” from your web browser’s context menu to copy the page anchor location for use outside of SharePoint pages. When the page anchor is on the clipboard, it can be pasted into e-mails, instant messages, or other such items.
After you add a hyperlink to your page, you can skip to a Heading 1 in any text web part by appending the pound symbol (#) and the heading 1 text you want to jump to at the end of the link, as in this example:
Insert a table
Select the Insert table button in the Text and table formatting pane. A simple table of 3 columns and 3 rows is added.
You can modify the text in the table by using the text formatting tools available on the toolbar or in the Text and table formatting pane.
Choose a table style
In SharePoint Online (but not SharePoint Server 2019), you can pick a simple table style or a themed table style. The themed table styles (shown in the second row) match the theme colour used on your site. From left to right, the table styles are:
- Subtle header (header has a bottom border)
- Header (header row has solid color and reverse font)
- Alternating rows (header row has solid color and reverse font, and alternating rows are shaded)
- Column header (header row has solid color and reverse font, first column and alternating rows are shaded)
Insert and delete rows and columns
Create or erase rows or columns, or delete the entire table, by pressing the suitable buttons in the Text and table formatting pane. You can also press the Tab key to progress within the table and to add rows. From the left to right, the options are:
- Insert row above
- Insert row below
- Insert column to the left
- Insert column to the right
- Delete the selected row
- Delete the selected column
- Delete the entire table
Set table alignment
In SharePoint Online (but not SharePoint Server 2019), you can select the table alignment buttons to position the entire table within the web part space. You can align the table to the left, centre, or right.