Applies to: Outlook for Office 365, Outlook 2019, Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013, Outlook 2010.
In Outlook, the standard font is 11-point Calibri in black. It’s used when you create new email messages. You can edit the default font along with its colour, size, and style — such as bold or italic.
Outlook enables you to adjust the font, colour, size, and style for new messages and replies and forwards separately. If you want to alter the font used in the message list, see Create, change, or customise a view.
Change the default font, colour, style, and size for messages
- On the File tab, click Options > Mail.
Note: If you have Outlook 2007, select the Tools menu, then click Options > Mail Format.
- Under Compose messages, select Stationery and Fonts.
- On the Personal Stationery tab, under New mail messages or Replying or forwarding messages, pick Font.
- In the Font box, decide the font, style, size, and colour that you prefer to use. You are displayed a preview of your updates in real-time.
- Press OK thrice to return to Outlook.
Your new settings will take effect immediately.
- You have to define your font preferences alone for both new messages and replies and forwards.
- If the font that you select isn’t installed on the recipient’s computer, then the recipient’s mail programme replaces it with an available font.
Restore the initial default font style options
If you later decide you want to cancel your custom font settings and revert to the pre-existing settings, you can follow the above steps, but select the following values.
- Font: +Body
- Font style: Regular
- Size: 11
- Font colour: Automatic
Change the font size for reading messages
You can change the size of messages in the Reading pane by using the Zoom feature.
To change the zoom level for a single message
- Use the slider by the bottom right of the Reading pane to control your zoom level. When you modify this, the text size in the Reading Pane will increase or decrease.
To change the zoom level on all received messages
- You can now alter the zoom level on all received messages. Pick the percentage to the right of the Zoom slider to access the Zoom window.
- Choose one of the preformatted options or type a specific percentage number.
- To set this zoom level to all messages, mark the Remember my preference check box and then press OK.