Applies to: Microsoft Teams.
If you want to adjust what appears behind you in a video conference, you can either blur your background or replace it entirely.
- Blurring or replacing your background may not protect sensitive information from being shown to other meeting participants.
- Background effects are merely available for scheduled meetings.
Change your background before a meeting starts
During the process of setting up your video and audio before joining a meeting, press Background effects . It’s only to the right of the mic switch. Your background options will appear on the right.
Click Blur to blur your background. You’ll be presented as good and clear while everything behind you is subtly hidden.
You can even replace your background by picking one of the images offered.
Change your background during a meeting
To modify your background after you’ve already joined a meeting, find your meeting controls and choose More actions > Show background effects.
Pick Blur to blur your background, or select from the available images to replace it.
You can then preview your specified background to get a flavour of what it looks like before you apply it.
- If you don’t see Show background effects as an option in the menu, the feature may be unavailable on your device.
- For now, Linux users aren’t able to apply this feature.
- Background effects will be missing to you if you’re using Teams through virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI).