Applies to: Excel for Office 365, Excel 2019, Excel 2016, Excel 2013, Excel 2010.
Excel for Office 365 has changed the way comments work. Comments are now threaded, and allow you to have discussions with other people about the data. Notes are for making notes or annotations about the data, and work like comments used to work in earlier versions of Excel.
Comments have a Reply box. When people reply, you can see several comments connected together, showing a virtual conversation in the workbook. If you need to discuss data with other people, then use a comment.
Add a comment
- Right-click a cell and click New Comment.
- In the comment box, type your comment. You can also @mention someone to include them in the comment thread.
- Move your cursor off of the cell.The comment disappears, but a purple comment indicator remains. To see the comment again, hover over the cell.
- Select the Review tab, and click Previous Comment or Next Comment to see each comment in sequence.
Show/Hide all comments at once
- Select the Review tab, and click Show Comments. A new Comments task pane will load on the right displaying all your comments in order.
Delete a comment
- Click the More thread actions button (…) in the comment’s upper right-hand corner, and select Delete thread.
Resolve a thread
- Click the More thread actions button (…) in the comment’s upper right-hand corner, and select Resolve thread.
Notes (formerly called “comments” in earlier versions of Excel) don’t have a Reply box. Notes are just for adding annotations or reminders in cells. If you don’t need to have a discussion about the data, then use a note.
Add a note
- Right-click a cell and click New Note.
- In the note box, type your note.
- Click outside the note.The note box disappears, but a red note indicator remains. To see the note again, hover over the cell.Note: To format your comment, highlight the text you want to change, right-click on the note and choose Format Comment.
- Select the Review tab > Notes, and click Previous Note or Next Note to see each note in sequence.
Show/Hide all notes at once
- Select the Review tab > Notes >Show All Notes. This will toggle your notes on and off.
Move a note
- Click on a note’s border, then drag it.
Resize a note
- Click on a note’s border, then drag one of the sizing handles on its side or corner.
Delete a note
- Click on the note’s border, and press Delete.
Convert to Comments
- If you want to take advantage of threaded comments in an existing note, select the Review tab > Notes > Convert to Comments.
Comments are like sticky notes for cells, and you can use them to add annotations or reminders about your data. When a cell has a comment, an indicator appears in the corner of the cell. When you hover your cursor over the cell, the comment appears.