Applies to: SharePoint Online, Office for business, SharePoint Server 2019.
Design a SharePoint communication site to share news, reports, status, and other information in a visually compelling format. Communication sites are responsive and can be accessed from anywhere on any device.
- Once you create a communication site, an Office 365 group is not created.
- Some functionality is rolled out periodically to organisations that have set up the targeted release options in Office 365. This means that you may not yet see this feature or it may look different than what is described in the help articles.
Should I create a communication site or a team site?
Use a communication site to distribute information out to a broad audience. With a communication site, usually only a selected number of members share content that is consumed by a much scalable audience. If you want to collaborate with other members of your team or with others on a specific project, a team site is the greater choice. With a team site, normally each or many members can deliver content to the site and the information is confined to merely the members of the team or project and specific stakeholders.
Steps to create a communication site
- Log in to Microsoft 365. For help, see Where to sign in to Microsoft 365.
- In the top left corner of the page, click the app launcher icon and then pick the SharePoint tile. If you don’t see the SharePoint tile, select the Sites tile or All if SharePoint is absent.
- At the top of the SharePoint home page, click + Create site and choose the Communication site option.
If your plan is to associate the new communication site with a SharePoint hub site, you can streamline the process by first navigating to the hub site and clicking the Create site link in the top right corner there. The new communication site will automatically be associated with that hub site.
If you don’t see the + Create site link, self-service site creation may be disabled in Microsoft 365. Contact the person administering Microsoft 365 in your organisation to create a team site. If you’re a tenant administrator, see Manage site creation in SharePoint Online to enable self-service site creation for your organisation or Manage sites in the new SharePoint admin centre to create a site from the SharePoint Online admin centre.
- Choose one of the following site designs:
- Topic to distribute information like news, events, and other content.
- Showcase to use photos or images to highlight a product, team, or event.
- Blank to produce your own design.
- Name your new communication site and, in the Site description box, insert some text that informs people about your site’s purpose.
- If enabled by your admin, select a site classification in the Site classification section. The options provided can relate to sensitivity of information or to the life-cycle of information on your site.
- Pick a language for your site.
For SharePoint Server 2019, your system admin must approve and install language packs for this option to be available.
Caution: After you pick a language for your site and create the site, it is irreversible to alter the language at a later stage.
- Press Finish. Your site will be made and will display among the sites you’re following. Your site will not adopt the permission settings or navigation of other sites. To share your communication site with others, see Share a site.
Note: If your screen doesn’t match the images above, it means that your administrator has site creation set to the classic site creation experience. See Which version of SharePoint am I using? for more details.
Now that you’ve created a communication site, learn how you can customise and get the most out of it:
Help in creating and adding to sites