Applies to: SharePoint Online, SharePoint Server 2019, SharePoint Server 2016, SharePoint Server 2013 Enterprise, SharePoint Foundation 2010, SharePoint Server 2010.
Design SharePoint lists to monitor information updates, including titles, descriptions, people and dates.
Lists are shared with the remaining members and visitors of a site. Visitors can see lists and list items without being authorised to create or edit lists or list items.
Tip: To learn more about data and lists, check out these YouTube videos from SharePoint community experts!
- Pick Settings , and then choose Site contents.
- Click + New, and then press List.
- State a Name for the list, and optionally, a Description. The name displays at the top of the list and can show in site navigation to help others find it.
- Press Create.
- Once your list opens, to insert room for extra types of information to the list, select + or + Add column. For more info about adding columns, see Create a column in a SharePoint list or library.
For info about creating a list based on an existing list, see Create a new SharePoint list based on the columns in another list.
To update properties, delete the list, create permissions, manage columns, and a number of other updates, click Settings , and then tap List Settings. For more info, see Edit a list.
Create lists from other types of list templates
You can use SharePoint Online and SharePoint Server 2019 lists which transcends a simple list. You can select from list templates like Links, Calendar, Survey, Issue Tracking, Announcements, and other. Here’s how to create other types of lists.
- Tap Settings , and then press Site contents.
- Click + New, and then press App.
- If you sought list type or app isn’t displayed, type it into the search box, and press Enter. You’ll receive a list of all list templates that match.
- Here are some of the list types you can search for:
- Promoted Links
- Issue Tracking
- Custom List
For this example, we used calendar and chose the built-in calendar app for SharePoint. You may see other calendars that have been built within your company or offered by a third party.
- Enter a Name for the app you chose, such as Event calendar, July tasks, or Company Contacts. The name appears at the top of the list in most views, becomes part of the web address for the list page, and appears in site navigation to help users find the list. You can change the name of a list, but the web address will remain the same.
- SharePoint takes you back to the Site contents page. Search for your app you recently made in the Site contents list, and launch in it. SharePoint forms a standard version of the app, calendar, task list, or whatever app you created.
You can begin inputting data using +new task, edit this list, Add, or the precise way the specific app supplies to insert data.
Note: Some list-based apps only appear in Classic SharePoint mode.
Depending on the type of app you choose, to change the app’s settings, from the ribbon at the top of the page, pick List Settings or the List tab. For more info about settings, see Edit list settings in SharePoint Online.
Want to do the same with Libraries?
To create a library, see Create a document library in SharePoint.
Next steps with Lists
Columns Configure what type of info a list holds by adding and deleting columns. For more info, see Create a column in a SharePoint list or library.
Views Change how a list is displayed by creating views. For more info, see Create, change, or delete a view of a list or library.