Applies to: SharePoint Online, SharePoint Server 2016, SharePoint Foundation 2013, SharePoint Server 2013 Enterprise, SharePoint Server 2013, SharePoint Server 2007.
To keep updated anytime your SharePoint documents or items on your site update, you can set up alerts. You can create an alert for a list, library, folder, file, or list item. For example, you can design an alert for a specific folder in a library, without getting alerts for the latest changes across the remainder of the library.
An alternative way of receiving notifications for file or list item changes is to use Power Automate with the SharePoint connector.
Get alerts on item changes in SharePoint Online
You can receive an alert whenever a file, link, or folder is changed in a SharePoint Online document library. Based on the item (file, folder, link), you might notice various options once you produce an alert.
- Find the list or library.
- Choose your desired file, link, or folder to receive an alert.
- From the list of options for the list or library, pick the … (ellipses), and then choose Alert Me.
- In the Alert me when items change dialogue, click and alter your preferred options.
- To save, press OK.
Get alerts on all changes in a document library in SharePoint Online
- Navigate to the list or library and check no items are chosen.
- From the list of options for the list or library, choose the … (ellipses), and then pick Alert Me.
- In the Alert me when items change dialogue, update or complete your preferred options.
- Click OK.
Cancel alerts in SharePoint Online
To see your alerts from a page on the site, click the ellipsis (…) from the displayed list of options for the list or library, and then pick Manage My Alerts.
- Choose your desired alert to delete.
- Click Delete Selected Alerts.
- To delete, press OK.
See updates without e-mail alerts
If you’d prefer not to receive e-mail, but still want to stay ahead of changes in your document libraries, take a look at File activity in a document library.