Applies to: Outlook for Office 365, Outlook 2019, Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013, Outlook 2010.
You can delay the delivery of an individual email message or you can customise rules to delay the delivery of all messages by storing them in Outbox for a defined time after you press Send.
Delay the delivery of a message
- While composing a message, choose the More options arrow from the Tags group in the Ribbon.
- Under Delivery options, check the Do not deliver before check box, and then select your ideal delivery date and time.
- Click Close.
- When you’re done composing your email, click Send.
After you press Send, the message stays in the Outbox folder until the delivery time has elapsed.
If you decide later that you want to send the message immediately, do the following:
- Change to the Outbox folder.
- Open the delayed message.
- Choose the More options arrow from the Tags group in the Ribbon.
- Under Delivery options, clear the Do not deliver before check box.
- Select Close.
- Press Send.
Delay the delivery of all messages
You can delay the delivery of all messages by up to two hours by creating a rule.
- Click File.
- Pick Manage Rules & Alerts.
- Select New Rule.
- In the Step 1: Select a template box, under Start from a Blank Rule, press Apply rule on messages I send, and then choose Next.
- In the Step 1: Select condition(s) list, select the check boxes for any options that you want, and then click Next.
If you do not click any check boxes, a confirmation dialogue box appears. If you press Yes, the rule that you are setting is considered for all messages that you send.
- In the Step 1: Select action(s) list, check the defer delivery by a number of minutes check box.
- In the Step 2: Edit the rule description (click an underlined value) box, select the underlined phrase a number of and state the total number of minutes for retaining the messages before they are sent. Delivery can be delayed up to 120 minutes.
- Press OK, and then select Next.
- Click the check boxes for any exceptions that you want.
- Select Next.
- In the Step 1: Specify a name for this rule box, enter a name for the rule.
- Click the Turn on this rule check box.
- Press Finish.
After selecting Send, every message stays in the Outbox folder for your requested time.
This information was compiled using information courtesy of © Microsoft 2020. All rights reserved.