- Applies to: Excel for Microsoft 365, Excel for Microsoft 365 for Mac, Excel 2019, Excel 2016, Excel 2019 for Mac, Excel 2013, Excel 2010, Excel 2007, Excel 2016 for Mac, Excel for Mac 2011.
In this guide, you will learn why the ##### error happens and what actions you can take to rectify these to present your dataset in all its entirety.
Microsoft Excel may display ##### in cells any time a column is too narrow to present the whole of a cell’s contents. Formulas that yield dates and times as negative values can even appear as #####.
To widen a column to display complete cell contents, double-click the right edge of the column header. Alternatively, drag it to your desired width.
Alternately, you can even test the following:
- To shrink the cell contents, select Home > beside Alignment. Then, check the Shrink to fit box in the Format Cells dialogue box.
- If numbers have an excessive number of decimal places, press Home > Decrease Decimal.
- For extremely lengthy dates, choose Home > arrow adjacent to Number Format, and click Short Date.
Correct negative dates or times to fix the ##### error
Once Excel presents ##### error since the cell contains a negative date or time value, check that you:
- Confirm dates and times are positive values after you’re using the 1900 date system.
- Use a formula to subtract dates or Add or subtract time properly to bypass negative date or time value results.
- Alter negative formula results that are structured as dates or times to a different number format.