SharePoint Online SharePoint Server 2016 SharePoint Foundation 2013 More…
You can synchronize data between an external list and Microsoft Excel, and keep both sets of data up-to-date. For example you may want to maintain a product inventory in a list so that it’s easy to share and update, but also do periodic inventory analysis by using Microsoft Excel.
Note: You cannot synchronize an external list with versions prior Excel 2013. If you attempt to do so, you get the message, “Cannot connect to the list.”
For more information, see Find content about external data.
Export the external list to Excel
- Navigate to the SharePoint site that contains the list.
- Click the name of the SharePoint list on the Quick Launch, or on the Settings menu , click Site contents or View All Site Content, and then in the appropriate list section, click the name of the list.
- Click List and then click Export to Excel. By default, this capability is enabled on external lists, but it can be disabled by a system administrator.
- If you are prompted to confirm the operation, click OK.
- In the File Download dialog box, click Open.
- If you are prompted whether to enable data connections on your computer, click Enable if you believe the connection to the data on the SharePoint site is safe to enable.
An Excel Table is created with a data connection based on a web query file. The columns in the exported table are determined by the current external list view. The external data exported is determined by the filters defined on the external content type and in the external list view, and the language settings for the SharePoint site. Any page limits are ignored.
This information was compiled using information courtesy of © Microsoft 2020. All rights reserved.