Format your chart using the Format task pane
Pick the chart element (for example, data series, axes, or titles), right-click it, and select Format <chart element>. The Format pane emerges with options related to the chosen chart element.
Pressing the small icons by the top of the pane takes you to different sections of the pane with greater options. If you select another chart element, you’ll see that the task pane automatically updates to the new chart element.
For example, to format an axis:
- Right-click the chart axis, and click Format Axis.
- In the Format Axis task pane, apply the necessary changes. You can rearrange or resize the task pane to simply using it. Press the chevron in the upper right.
- Click Move and then drag the pane to a new location.
- Pick Size and drag the edge of the pane to resize it.
Format your chart using the Ribbon
- In your chart, select anywhere in the chart to choose the chart element that you want to format.
- On the Format tab under Chart Tools, do one of the following:
- Click Shape Fill to add a different fill colour, or a gradient, picture, or texture to the chart element.
- Click Shape Outline to edit the colour, weight, or style of the chart element.
- Click Shape Effects to insert special visual effects to the chart element, like shadows, bevels, or 3-D rotation.
- To apply a pre-existing shape style, on the Format tab, in the Shape Styles group, pick your preferred style. To view all available shape styles, press the More button.
- To alter the format of chart text, choose the text, and then pick an option on the mini toolbar that displays. Or, on the Home tab, in the Font group, choose your desired formatting.
- To apply Art styles to format text, highlight the text, and then on the Format tab in the WordArt Styles group, select a WordArt style to use. For all available styles, select the More button.