Applies to: PowerPoint for Office 365, PowerPoint for Office 365 for Mac,PowerPoint for the web, PowerPoint 2019, PowerPoint 2019 for Mac, PowerPoint 2016, PowerPoint 2013, PowerPoint 2010, PowerPoint 2016 for Mac.
In PowerPoint for Office 365 or PowerPoint 2019, you can insert an online video from YouTube or Vimeo on a slide.
In PowerPoint for Office 365, version 1907 or later, you can also insert an online video from Microsoft Stream, a video service for enterprises—people in an organization can upload, view, and share videos with one another.
The video plays directly from the website, and it has the site’s controls for playing, pausing, volume, and so on. The PowerPoint playback features (Fade, Bookmark, Trim, and so on) don’t apply to online videos.
Because the video is stored on a web site, rather than in your presentation, you must be connected to the internet in order for the video to play successfully.
Tip: Check out these YouTube videos from PowerPoint community experts for more help with video!
Insert a web video
- In your web browser, find the video you want.
- Duplicate the URL of the web page from the Address bar of your browser.
- Change back to PowerPoint and pick your preferred slide to add the video.
- On the Insert tab of the ribbon, press Video > Online Video.
- In the Online Video dialogue box, paste the URL you copied in step 2.
- Click Insert.
Play the video
If a video is added successfully, you can play it either in Normal view or Slide Show.
- A Play button emerges on the video in Normal view.
- In Slide Show, you can engage with videos just as you would in a web browser.
- Automatically, videos from YouTube and Vimeo play in “click sequence.” You can play the video without clicking the Play button. Just press the spacebar to progress to the next step in your click sequence.
Not all online videos from these sites are permitted to be embedded. You should refer to the video site to find out if a specific video can be embedded.
Internet Explorer 11 is required on your computer
For the purpose of playing videos in PowerPoint, Internet Explorer 11 must be on your computer. You don’t have to use it to browse the web; you simply have to have it installed, because under the covers, PowerPoint needs its technology to play videos on Windows.
If your operating system is Windows 10, then you already have Internet Explorer 11 installed. If you have an older version of Windows, you can go to this Internet Explorer Downloads page for instructions.
Want to insert a video from your computer instead?
See Insert and play a video file from your computer for all the details.