Applies to: Word for Office 365, Word for Office 365 for Mac, Word for the web, Word 2019, Word for iPad.
Use Learning Tools to aid with literacy and comprehension.
|This feature is available to Office 365 Subscribers only.|
Some Learning Tools features are not supported in every language. For details, see Language support.
Select View > Learning Tools, and pick your options:
- Column Width edits line length to enhance focus and comprehension.
- Page Colour can improve text legibility to minimise eye strain.
- Line Focus scraps distractions which allows you to scan through a document line by line. Change the focus to put one, three, or five lines in view by sequence.
Note: The Line Focus option is available only to Office Insiders for now.
- Text Spacing boosts the spacing between words, characters, and lines.
- Syllables presents breaks between syllables, to raise word recognition and pronunciation.
- Read Aloud enables you to hear your document as each word is highlighted.
Note: Use the playback controls to start and stop the narration, to change the speed of the reading, and to switch between reading voices.
Keyboard shortcuts for Read Aloud
Start or exit Read Aloud: Ctrl+Alt+Space
Pause or play Read Alout: Ctrl+Space
Speed up reading speed: Alt+Right
Slow down reading speed: Alt+Left
Read the previous paragraph: Ctrl+Right
Read the next paragraph: Ctrl+Left
Text spacing is available for all languages except those written with complex or connected scripts. For example, Arabic isn’t supported.
Syllabification is available for Basque, Brazilian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Kazakh, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian (Bokmål), Norwegian (Nynorsk), Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Welsh languages. Text must be set correctly. For more details, see set language preferences. If the text is set to an unsupported language, it won’t be syllabified, even if the text should be supported. Example: If English text is copied into a Chinese document, the English text must be selected and set to English; otherwise, the text won’t be syllabified.
Read Aloud doesn’t support RTL languages. Read Aloud reads text in the default speech language of your operating system. For information about how to add additional text-to-speech voices, see How to download Text-to-Speech languages for Windows 10.