Applies to: Outlook for Office 365, Outlook 2019, Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013, Outlook 2010.
Outlook offers you a systematic method to save and organise email messages. You can move or copy messages between folders in several different ways.
- Use drag-and-drop
- Use Copy to Folder or Move to Folder
- Move or copy using the clipboard
To work with multiple messages, do the following first:
- To select adjacent messages, choose the first message, and then hold down Shift and pick the last message. All messages in the list between the first and last message you clicked are highlighted.
- To select nonadjacent messages, select the first message, and then hold down Ctrl and press additional items.
Move using drag and drop
- Select the item you want to move.
- Drag to the destination folder, and then release the mouse button.
Note: If the folder you want to move or copy the message to does not appear because it is in a collapsed folder, hover the mouse pointer over the collapsed folder icon and the subfolders will appear. Repeat this as necessary until the folder you want appears.
Copy using drag and drop
- Choose the item you want to move by holding down the right-mouse button (or the alternate mouse button if you’re using the mouse with your left hand).
- Drag to the destination folder and release the mouse button.
- When the context menu appears, press Copy.
Move or copy using the Move to Folder or Copy to Folder option
- Pick the item you want to move.
- On the Outlook ribbon, click Move.
- To move an item to a folder, select the folder from the drop-down list. If your folder isn’t listed, select Other Folder and select the folder from the Choose Folder dialog box.
- To copy an item to a folder, select Copy to Folder.
Move or Copy using the clipboard
- Select the item you want to move or copy.
- To move, right-click and press Cut. To copy, right-click and click Copy. Alternatively, you can use the keyboard shortcut.
To copy the item: click Ctrl+C.
To move the item: click Ctrl+X
- Navigate to the convenient folder for moving or copying the item to, and then click Ctrl+V.
This information was compiled using information courtesy of © Microsoft 2020. All rights reserved.