Applies to: SharePoint Online SharePoint Server 2019.
When a column in a document library/list is setup to demand information, essential information might be missing.
SharePoint can get your attention to the missing info. Use Files that need attention in libraries and Items that need attention in lists to rapidly locate and manage missing info.
Accessing attention views
Files that need attention and Items that need attention are menu items that are only displayed when necessary. For example, Files that need attention will be presented for a library alongside a file that is missing info.
To view all the files across a document library that are missing required information:
- Choose View Options > Files that need attention.
To view all items across a list that are missing required information:
- Pick View Options > Items that need attention.
Visual cues for files that need attention in a document library
When one or multiple files is missing required info, the view will visually differ to alert you.
The visual indicators contain a yellow bar in front of the file name and a warning message to aid you swiftly spotting where the action must be taken.
Another visual cue is the red dot on the View options menu of a document library. The red dot asks you to act and assign the missing values in the required columns.
Resolving metadata updates in bulk
You can revise one or more items that require attention without exiting the page by accessing the details pane.
To resolve metadata in bulk:
- Choose the yellow warning message to launch the details pane for one of the files you want to update.
- Insert additional files with equivalent common values using CTRL + click or SHIFT + click. The bulk edit pane should reveal itself to you.
SharePoint Server 2019
- Enter values for the missing information.
- Press the Save button to confirm the changes to every item simultaneously once.
This information was compiled using information courtesy of © Microsoft 2020. All rights reserved.