Applies to: Microsoft Teams.
Your calendar in Teams is synced to your Exchange calendar. Simply put, once you schedule a meeting in Outlook, it’ll appear in Teams, and vice versa.
All meetings scheduled in Teams are instantly converted into an online meeting. Scheduling from Outlook? Learn how to add Teams to your Outlook meeting.
Schedule a meeting
There are several ways to schedule a meeting in Teams:
- Press Schedule a meeting in a chat (below the box where you type a new message) to book a meeting with the people in the chat.
- Select Calendar on the left side of the app and choose New meeting in the top right corner.
- Pick a range of time in the calendar. A scheduling form will pop open.
The scheduling form is where you’ll name your meeting, invite people, and insert meeting details. Apply the Scheduling Assistant to confirm a time that’s convenient for everyone.
After you’re finished entering the details, press Save. This will exit the scheduling form and send an invite to everyone’s Outlook inbox.
Invite people outside your organisation
Teams enables you to invite people external to your organisation, even those without a Teams licence. You’ll require their entire e-mail address to invite them.
- Navigate to where it says Add required attendees. If anyone is an optional attendee, click Optional instead.
- Enter the person’s full e-mail address (ex: Joe@example.com).
- Click Invite. They’ll obtain an e-mail with a link to the meeting.
Make it a channel meeting
- Press New meeting.
- Input the name of one or greater channels where it says Add channel (under the time and date fields).
Channels can’t be modified or inserted after the invite is sent. You then must send a new invite with the updated channels.
Note: When you have a meeting in a channel, everyone in the team will be able to see it and join it in that channel.
After you’ve appended your intended people, pick Scheduling Assistant to secure the best time.
If it’s a recurring meeting, access the drop-down menu beside Does not repeat (just below the date). Select how often you want it to take place from the standard options, or pick Custom to create your own timeslot.
Change the calendar view
Instantly, you’ll be presented your work week and can be altered from the drop-down menu at the top right of your calendar. Here are your existing view options:
- Day offers you an agenda view focused on one day at a time.
- Work week displays you Monday through Friday.
- Week presents you the entire week.
In the top left corner, you’ll observe the month and year. Choose the month to update your calendar view to any date— past or future. Click the arrows next to the month to scroll by day or week according to your calendar view.
Pick Today to return back to the current date.
Note: The calendar shows you everything that was scheduled in Teams, Exchange, or Outlook.
Right-click for more options
Right-click an event in your calendar to RSVP, erase it if it’s canceled, or access the invitation to see the meeting details. If the event is a Teams meeting, you’ll even receive options to Join online and Chat with participants.
Teams meetings will display a join button on an event in your calendar five minutes prior to the start of a meeting. When someone joins the meeting, the event will transform colours to inform you they’re online.
Pick Join to launch the meeting settings window to approve your desired camera and mic settings before joining the online meeting.
Note: If you have overlapping meetings in your calendar, the join button won’t be available. But you can still right-click the event and select Join online.