Applies to: SharePoint Online, Office for business, SharePoint Server 2019, SharePoint Server 2016, SharePoint Server 2013 Enterprise.
If you’re a site administrator, you can grant other people access to the site by adding them as owners, members, or visitors. (Want to share a file or folder instead?)
If the site is a SharePoint Online site, you may also be able to share it with people beyond your organisation, based on your organisation-specific permissions and site-specific permissions. The steps for sharing are determined by the site type. Visit the site and follow the steps that relate to the buttons you notice.
Note: If you aren’t a site owner, you could be able to invite other people to the site, but your invitation will create an access request that can be either approved or declined by a site owner.
- Choose Share site.
- In the Share site pane, type individuals’ or groups’ names to join them to the site, or input “Everyone except external users” to share the site with everyone within your organisation.
- Alter the permission level (Read, Edit, or Full control) to your preferences.
- Write an optional message to send to the person, or clear the Send email box if you decide to no longer send an e-mail.
- Click Share.
Office 365 group-connected team sites
- Select Settings, and then select Site permissions.
- Click Invite people.
- To add members to the group to give them access to all the group resources, choose Add members to group, and then Add members. To grant people access to just the site, pick Share site only.
- Type the people’s names to insert into the group. If you’re sharing the site only, you can even input groups or enter “Everyone except external users” to share the site with everyone organisation-wide.
- If you’re only sharing the site, state an optional message to send to the invitee, or clear the Send email box if you decide not to send an e-mail.
- Press Save if you’re adding members to the Office 365 group or Add if you’re sharing the site only.
- Click Share.
- Type the people’s or groups’ names to join them to the site, or state “Everyone” and choose “Everyone except external users” to share the site with everyone in your organisation.
- Optionally, insert a message to the invitee.
- To confirm a permission level or not send an e-mail invitation, pick SHOW OPTIONS.
- Press Share.