Display the rulers
- Firstly, go to View > Ruler.
- Secondly, if the vertical ruler doesn’t appear, check you’re in Print Layout view. Next, you may have to activate the ruler if it is still hidden.
- Select Word > Preferences > View (under Authoring and Proofing Tools).
- Following this, press the Vertical ruler box in the View dialogue box.
Change the unit of measure
You can edit the unit of measurement presented on the rulers, to do this:
- First, click Word > Preferences > General (under Authoring and Proofing Tools).
- Secondly, in Show measurement in units of, confirm your preferred unit of measurement.