Applies to: Outlook for Office 365, Outlook 2019, Outlook 2016.
If you receive one of the following errors when proceeding to add your Gmail account to Outlook, there are numerous steps you can take to resolve these errors.
- Repeated password prompts
- The connection to the IMAP/SMTP server was dropped. Please check the IMAP/SMTP server settings and try again.
- We couldn’t connect to the IMAP/SMTP server using the specified encryption method. Please check the IMAP/SMTP server encryption method and try again.
- The outgoing (SMTP) server doesn’t recognize your account. Please check your email address and try again.
- We couldn’t find the IMAP/SMTP server. Please check the IMAP/SMTP server name in account settings and try again.
- We couldn’t connect to the IMAP/SMTP server. The connection timed out.
Repeated password prompts
Before you add your Gmail account to Outlook, you need to activate two-factor authentication for Gmail and then set an app password on Gmail’s website. This is a unique password than the password you use to sign in to the Gmail website. An app password permits Gmail to verify that you are the individual trying to join your account to Outlook. Use the following steps to create an app password for your Gmail account.
Step 1: Turn on two-factor authentication
Two-factor authentication adds an extra security layer to your Gmail account. With two-factor authentication set up, each time you sign into Google or Gmail on a new computer or device, you’ll be prompted to confirm a code delivered to you via a text message. This assists Google with verifying that you’re the actual person trying to access your information.
- Visit Google’s two-factor authentication page and press Get Started.
- Enter your password if required, then follow the step-by-step process. If two-factor authentication has already been switched on for your account, you’ll see a message stating this.
Once you’ve activated two-factor authentication, you can create an app password for Gmail.
Step 2: Create an application password for Gmail
- Go to Gmail from your browser, then choose the Google apps icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Click My Account. Under Sign-in & security, choose Signing in to Google.
- Under Password & sign-in method, if 2-Step Verification is ON, skip ahead to Step 4. Otherwise, click 2-Step Verification and follow the messages. When you’re finished, press the back arrow at the top of the screen.
- Below Password & sign-in method, click App passwords.
- Type your Google password and then click Sign in. At the base of the following screen, choose Mail and Windows Computer from the drop-down lists, then press Generate.
- Google will present a personal app password to you. Record this password (without the spaces) and use this as the main password when inserting a new account to Outlook.
Use your app password to add your Gmail account to Outlook
- Click Retry and then Next.
- If Outlook prompts you for your password, type the app password you created in Step 6 above, then press OK, and Finish to begin using Outlook.
All IMAP/SMTP errors
There are various steps you can take to resolve IMAP/SMTP errors when configuring your Gmail account. You can Verify your account settings and try altering your account type or verify IMAP is enabled for your Gmail account.
Verify your account settings
Some IMAP/SMTP errors are temporary. If you click Retry, Outlook will move you to the IMAP Account Settings dialogue box. Once you’ve verified the provided settings, click Next to try to finish setup again.
- Incoming mail server: imap.gmail.com
- Port: 993
- Encryption method: SSL/TLS
- Outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com
- Port: 465
- Encryption method: SSL/TLS
If you persistently receive an error and you’ve already completed the steps in the repeated password prompts section, pick Change Account Type from the Something went wrong dialogue box.
Choose IMAP and continue to add your account again. If that fails, ensure that Verify that IMAP access is enabled for your Gmail account for your Gmail account.
Verify that IMAP access is enabled for your Gmail account
Before you can incorporate your Gmail account to Outlook, you must enable IMAP access at https://mail.google.com.
- Go to https://mail.google.com.
- Click the Settings wheel, then Settings.
- Choose Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Below IMAP Access, check that Enable IMAP is chosen.
- Click Save Changes.
This information was compiled using information courtesy of © Microsoft 2020. All rights reserved.