Set a formula that refers to values in other cells
- Choose a cell.
- Enter the equal sign (=).
- Press a cell or enter its address in the chosen cell.
- Type an operator. E.g., + for addition.
- Choose the next cell, or enter its address in the selected cell.
- Hit Enter. The outcome of the calculation displays in the cell alongside the formula.
View a formula
- When a formula is typed into a cell, it also shows in the Formula Bar.
- To check a formula, choose a cell, and it will show in the Formula Bar.
Type a formula that includes a built-in function
- Click a blank cell.
- Enter an equal sign and next, type a function.
- Enter an opening parenthesis (.
- Indicate the cell range, followed by entering a closing parenthesis ).
- Hit Enter for the result.