Promote files, including pages and news, to specific audiences with modern SharePoint Online audience targeting. You can set one or more groups as the audience for any file.
Note: Some functionality is introduced gradually to organizations that have opted in to the Targeted Release program. This means that you may not yet see this feature or it may look different than what is described in the help articles.
First, enable audience targeting for the library
First, enable audience targeting which will create an audience property.
- Go to your library. For example, if you’re working with pages or news, select Settings, then Site Contents, then Site Pages.
- From the library, select Settings,then Library settings.
- Under General Settings, select Audience targeting settings.
- Select the Enable audience targetingcheck box.
Next, select the audience for a file
From the library, select a file and select a value for the Audience property in the details pane. Republish pages and update the news posts.
An audience is defined by security groups. If you need to, create an Office 365 group for the members of your audience. Or, if you’re an admin, you can create a security group from the Microsoft 365 admin center.
News will now be filtered by audience on the SharePoint start page and on the news tab in SharePoint mobile. Enable it on web parts with the following steps.
Enable audience targeting for the web part
- Edit an existing page or create a new one
- Add or edit the web part
- In the Filter section, Enable audience targeting
- Publish or republish the page
- The steps above are for audience targeting in the modern experience. For the classic experience, follow the steps for SharePoint Server.
- Azure AD dynamic groups are not currently supported.
This information was compiled using information courtesy of © Microsoft 2020. All rights reserved.