Subscribe to get access
Read more of this content when you subscribe today.
Applies to: Word for Office 365, Word 2019, Word 2016, Word 2013, Word 2010, Word 2007.
Turning on Track Changes gives you and your coworkers a way to make changes that are easy to spot. The changes are like suggestions that you can review, and then remove them or make them permanent.
Turn Track Changes on and off by going to Review > Track Changes.
- When it’s turned on, deletions are marked with a strikethrough, and additions are marked with an underline. Different authors’ changes are indicated with different colours.
- When it’s turned off, Word stops marking changes, but the coloured underlines and strikethrough are still in the document.
Practice with Track Changes and other collaboration features in Word by downloading this Collaborate in Word learning guide.
View suggested changes
To review the changes in your document, go to Review > Tracking > Display for Review.
- To review the changes, indicated by a red line in the margin, choose Simple Markup.
- For a detailed view of the changes, choose All Markup.
- For a preview of how the document will look if you make all the suggested changes permanent, choose No Markup.
- To view the original document as if all the suggested changes were removed, choose Original.