To ensure your team is up and running in Microsoft Teams, design a team, create people, and insert channels.
Create a team
- Click Teams > Join or create a team. This is where you make your own team, or locate current ones.
- Pick Create a new team, and then choose Build a team from scratch or press Create from… to develop a completely new team or design from an established group respectively.
- Click Private if you’d like people to ask for permission to join, or choose Public if anyone in your organisation can join.
- Label the team and append an optional, short description.
- Click Create.
- Insert members. You can create people, groups, or even whole contact groups. If you must append people from beyond your organisation, use their e-mail address to invite them as guests. Create a welcoming display name for them too.
- Once you’re done adding members, press Add and then Close.
Note: If you’re a global administrator, consider creating an org-wide team that automatically adds everyone in your organisation.
Create a channel
Intuitively, every team gets a General channel, which is an ideal channel to depend on for announcements and information the whole team needs. To append more channels:
- Click More options… next to the team name.
- Press Add channel.
- Type a name and description for your channel. You can develop a channel relating to a topic, project, department name, or whatever you like.
- Choose Automatically show this channel in everyone’s channel list if you want this channel to be instantly noticeable in everyone’s channel list.
- Click Add.
Customise and manage your team
- Pick More options… beside the team name.
- Choose Manage team to discover Members, Channels, Settings, and Apps for your team all in one place.
- Press Settings > Team picture to create a team picture and give your team some personality.