Applies to: SharePoint Online Office for business.
SharePoint hub sites help you match the needs of your organisation by connecting and organising sites based on project, department, division, region, etc. making it simpler to:
- Discover related content such as news and other site activities
- Apply common navigation, branding, and site structure across associated sites
- Search across all associated sites
SharePoint administrators affect how many hub sites can be created in your organisation, who can associate sites with each hub site, and whether associating a site to a hub requires approval. Planning your SharePoint hub sites will guarantee you get the most out of using hub sites.
- You must be a SharePoint administrator to create a SharePoint hub site. Site owners, however, can associate a SharePoint site with a hub site that already exists. Sites created by clicking the Create site link in the top right corner of a hub site will automatically be associated with that hub site.
- Some functionality is introduced gradually to organisations that have set up the targeted release options in Office 365. This means that you may not yet see this feature or it may look different than what is described in the help articles.
In this article:
Image of a hub site home page
Shared hub navigation
Search across the hub
After you search from a SharePoint hub site, content on the hub site itself and from any associated sites are captured in the search results. Viewers will solely see content for which they have access to.
Recommended web parts
Once a SharePoint administrator produces a hub site, they’re transforming an existing SharePoint site to a hub site. A hub site navigation bar will emerge at the heading of the site, but the home page and all site contents will remain untouched.
To maximise the value accomplished from your hub site, the site’s owner can add the following web parts to the home page:
News published on a hub site and on any associated sites is promptly aggregated and displayed on the home page of the hub site by using the News web part. You can select which associated sites illustrate news on the hub site home page and viewers will only see news for sites they have access to. Picking a news article link transports you to the site on which the article was published.
Present the most active sites associated with the hub site on the home page by using the Sites web part.
Use the Highlighted content web part to energetically present content from sites associated with the hub site on the home page.
Use the Events web part to dynamically showcase events from sites associated with the hub site on the home page.
Hub site security
Sites associated with a SharePoint hub site seldom acquire the permissions of the hub site or any other sites connected with it. Each site, even the hub site, will sustain their current permission settings.
Associating sites to a hub site
There are two methods to create sites to a hub site.
You can design a new site that is autonomously related to your hub site by selecting Create site in the top right corner of the hub site.
Or, current sites can associate to a hub site through an approved association flow. Hub site owners can set up your SharePoint hub site to instantly evaluate requests for sites preceding the association occurring.
Ready to create a SharePoint hub site or associate a SharePoint site with an existing hub site?